“Almora Centre provides a sound case for experimenting with the newer technologies due to its strong user linkage and the past experiences with GIS and RS technologies”.
– Dr. S.K.Ghosh & Prof.S.C.Day, School of Information Technology, IIT Khargpur, October 2005.
“I am very happy to see that the NRDMS Centre has done tremendous work. The Centre has prepared very useful digital data base, thematic maps and action plans for district Almora. Gradually time will come when detailed digital information not about only Almora but other districts will also be available. The scope of this Centre should increase. In view of its present GIS infrastructure, capability and expertise, this Centre has full potential for developing into a Centre of Excellence for building professional education and applied research compatibility in GI Science & Technology for various stakeholders, viz., academia, governance, industry and civil society with special reference to the Uttaranchal State.”
– Prof. C.P.Barthwal, Vice Chancellor, Kumaun University, 4th September 06.
“It is a major example for many of the states and districts to see the harmonious coordination and relationships that have been established over the past few years between NRDMS Centre, Kumaun University, and the Line Departments and District Administration Almora. The relationships are fundamental to the promotion of the use of geospatial data or maps in supporting local level planning activities at the district or lower levels of the administration.”
– Dr.P.S.Acharya, Director, NRDMS Division, Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi, 4th September 06.
“In the Kumaun University successful attempts have been made to use GIS for decision making, in planning and administration. Few months back, we have initiated GIS work in one of the uncovered districts of Jammu and Kashmir and in many other districts of the country by giving example of GIS of the NRDMS Centre Almora.”
– Dr. D. Dutta, Additional Director, NRDMS Division, Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi, 4thth September 06.
“I am much impressed to see the digital maps of district Almora prepared by the NRDMS Centre Almora. The digital mapping has been done in such a way that if we want to make development planning of any resource, that can be done through these maps using their digital information. Through this programme our organized manpower of NYKS should learn to make use of this digital information for local area planning than only the objective of this programme would be completed.
– Sri B.C. Joshi, Zonal Director, Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangsthan, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand States, 4th September 2006.
“Excellent work done by NRDMS Centre in GIS which would prove highly beneficial for proper planning of resources and development works in Uttarakhand. The GIS maps for micro watersheds work would be very helpful in monitoring and impact evaluation. Such maps should be developed or other districts of Uttarakhand.”
– Dr. G.P.Juyal, Head (HEE), Central Soil and Water Conservation Research & Training Institute Dehradun, 16th September 07.
“Congratulations for the excellent and very useful work enabling people to get various information. It is really a hard work and very informative thing for a common man and various departments.”
– Prof. Uma Palani, Head of the Department Botany, Kumaun University, DSB Campus Nainital.
“This effort will certainly help us in utter need in many ways who desire to contribute for the welfare of society.”
– Prof.S.B.Pandey, Head of the Department Mathematics, Kumaun University SSJ Campus Almora, 17th September 07.
“I am surprised to see the level of attainment and the quality of GIS work carried out by this Centre of Excellence approved by the DST, Government of India at this so called remote Hill Town of Uttarakhand State. The Centre has established state-of-the-art on GI Science and Technology and carried out variety of research projects pertaining directly to the local and regional development issues. Also, the Centre in its role in capacity building has started two years PG degree course in GI Science and Technology from the last year under the Kumaun University,besides training and workshops conducted for the stakeholders from time to time”.
– Dr. R.C.S. Taragi, GIS Specialist and Coordinator, Qatar Govt, Qatar , 3 April, 2009
“The work and performance of this Centre in the field of Remote Sensing and Geographic Information System is excellent. I am very happy to see this Centre, and the maps and works useful to administration and general people.
– Dr. S.K.Dixit, Department of Geography, University of Gorakhpur, 2nd May 09.
“Outstanding works being done by the Centre. The Kumaun University deserve appreciation for developing a Centre of Excellence for NRDMS in starting Master Degree programme on GI Science. I congratulate Dr. Rawat (Director of the Centre) and his team for the commendable works on GI Science and Technology with specific reference to local level planning. The Centre is playing an important role in training youth in application of GI Science. This will provide a key to the students to unlock and solve the problems of natural resources management to ensure sustainable development in this country.”
– Dr. Afroj Ahmed, Director, Narmada Control Authority, Indore. 5th February 2009.
“It is expected that this Centre will prove to be a growth pole for propagating GIS technology in the Country.”
– Dr. Prathaveesh Nag (Ex Surveyor General of India) Director, National Atlas Thematic Mapping Organization, Kolkatta, 6th February 09.
“To get some information for planning, normally it takes one month or more but with the help of these GIS based maps we can find the information within a moment. Through Line Departments and District Administration, data entry work is being done at this NRDMS Centre Almora for creation of District GIS. We are being benefited in number of ways by using the information of villages, blocks, tehsil and district through these maps.”
– Sri B.S.Chalal, Sub-Divisional Magistrate Almora,4th September 06.
“This work is important not only for District Almora, but is very good contribution for the entire Uttranchal State. Therefore, firstly I would like to appreciate and congratulate and also would like to extend thanks on behalf of District Administration for the Centre’s commendable contribution in developing District GIS in Uttranchal. The digital maps which we have seen here are very useful. If we talk through these maps with people and make development plans through these computer maps, correct planning can be done. The seed of GIS which the NRDMS Centre sown on this fertile land of Almora, has now not only been sprouted but has been developed in a large tree. Certainly, we will get shelter, fruits and inspiration from this work.”
– Sri Rajeev Chandra, IAS, District Magistrate Almora, 8th September 2006.
“The NRDMS Centre Almora is presently working as an information hub for district Almora, in particular and the Uttaranchal State, in general…” “apart form the digital database of different resources, the NRDMS Centre has also prepared six very useful GIS based action plans but their application remains to be done. I have taken one of these action plans, viz., Strategy for Regeneration of the Drying Kosi River System, for application.”
– Sri. D.S.Pandiyan, IAS, Chief Development Officer Almora, 16th December 2006.
“The District Magistrate of Almora has availed of the facility at NRDMS to evolve the GIS Support Package for the District. The unit based at Almora could play as nuclei for similar package for remaining districts. Training programme on this package has been ordered that every DM-COM-DEO may suitably adopt the Almora initiative”.
– Sri Ravi Shankarn, Principal Secretary and Chief Election Officer Government of Uttaranchal, 27th December 2006.
– Sri. Rajeev Chandra, IAS, District Magistrate Almora, 18th January 07.
“The NRDMS Centre Almora has provided us technical guidance and support. This has enabled us to create digitized maps for district, tehsils and blocks with socio-economic indicators. Preparation of village level GIS is in the pipeline. Apart from this, the district GIS developed by the NRDMS centre is also proving fruitful for planning and preparation of district based disaster management and mitigation plan.”
– Sri Y.K.Pant, Additional District Magistrate Almora, 18th January 2007
“The information generated by the Centre is very useful for planning. Database of the Centre needs updation through Cartosat Data. Uttarakhand Space Application Centre may help to this Centre to provide such information.”
– Dr. M.M.Kimoti, Director, Uttrakhand Space Application Centre, Dehradun, 16th September 07.
“Excellent work on digitization of maps! The project for rejuvenation of river Kosi in Almora needs immediate implementation. Forest department will give all possible cooperation.”
– Sri Jai Raj, Chief Conservator of Forest, Government of Uttarakhand, 16th September, 2007.
“It is indeed very satisfying and praiseworthy to see the real application of Science and Technology for day to day use for the welfare of the general public. I am also very happy to note that what was discussed with you years ago, has been carried out with perfection. This Almora GIS is a model to be replicated for all 13 districts of Uttarakhand.”
– Dr.L.M.S.Palni, Director, State Bio-Technological Programme, Government of Uttarakhand, 17th Sept. 07.
“Excellent work done. More work up to village level may be done.”
– Dr. D.P.Juyal, Former Member, Uttaranchal Public Service Commission, Haridwar, 16th September 09.
“It was a great pleasure to know and have Post Graduate course on GI Science & Technology in Kumaun University through its Centre of Excellence for NRDMS in Uttarakhand. The Centre is doing excellent contribution to Society.”
– Sri. H.B.Madhwal, Ex-Director Survey of India, 29/05/09.
“Excellent efforts to bring GIS and Remote Sensing Technologies for their real applications based on users’ need and development of Geographic Information Technology Managers as human resources in this interesting and useful area.”
– Sri Rajbir Singh Rathi, Executive Director, GIS Technical Marketing, ROLTA India Limited, Rolta Tower A, Rolta Technology park,MIDC, Andheri(E), Mumbai 40009,13th July 09.
“I am glad to know that Kumaun University, Nainital has decided to launch a Post Graduate Course leading to Master’s Degree in Geographic Information Science and Technology from the academic year 2008-09. The course is being launch through the University’s “Centre of Excellence for Natural Resources Data Management System (NRDMS) of Uttarakhand” setup recently using the infrastructure, expertise and other resources built over the years at the Department of Geography, Kumaun University (Almora Campus) through NRDMS activities. I hope, the initiative of the University will help in building the much-required technical capacity and human resource in the region to develop a comprehensive State level Spatial Data Infrastructure to support implementation of Decentralized Planning in the State. I wish the Centre a grand success”
– Dr. (Brig) Siv Kumar, Head, NRDMS Division, Department of Science and Technology, Technology Bhawan, New Delhi, 18th April 08.
“It is expected that this Centre will prove to be a growth pole for propagating GIS Technology in the Country”.
– Dr. Prathivish Nag, Former Surveyor General of India and Director, National Atlas Thematic Mapping Organization, Kolkatta, 6th February 2009.
“I am surprised to see the level of attainment and the quality of GIS work carried out by this Centre located at this so called remote Hill Town of Uttarakhand State. The Centre has established state-of-the-art HW and SW and carried out variety of research projects pertaining directly to the local and regional development issues. Also, the Centre in its role in capacity building has started two years PG degree course in MGIST from last year under the Kumaun University besides training and workshops conducted for the stakeholders from time to time”.
– Dr. R.C.S. Taragi, GIS Specialist and Coordinator, Statistics Authority,Qatar Government, Doha, Qatar, 3 April, 2009.
“It is a matter of pleasure that this University has been recognized for setting up a Center of Excellence for Natural Resource Data Management System in Uttarakhand by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India. The Center of Excellence aims to build professional education and applied research capabilities in Geographic Information Science and Technology for various stakeholders, viz., academia, governance, industry and civil society.Considering the human resource requirement in government, private, academic and non-governmental sectors, the university has started two year Master’s Degree program in Geographic Information Science and Technology (MGIST) through this Center with the technical/financial support of the Department of Science and Technology, government of India since the academic year 2008-09”.
– Prof V.P.S.Arora, Vice Chancellor, Kumaun University, Nainital, 8th Sept.09.
“Outstanding research work on GI Science and Technology (GIST) as per needs of the stakeholders of local level planning is being done by the Centre. Induction of GIST in higher education is one of the most important achievements of the Centre which is praise worthy and replicable to develop human resource for application of GI Science in the Country”.
– Dr. Afroj Ahmed, Director, Narmada Control Authority (under Ministry of Water Resources, GOI), Indore, 21st Nov 09.